About Us

TC PipeLines, LP is a United States limited partnership with a long history of stable and growing cash distributions which has delivered value to its investors while maintaining a solid cash distribution coverage ratio.  TC PipeLines, LP was formed by TransCanada PipeLines Limited to acquire, own and actively participate in the management of United States based natural gas pipelines and related assets.

Through its disciplined investment philosophy, TC PipeLines, LP owns, or has interest in the following eight critical FERC regulated, low-risk energy infrastructure pipelines, capable of moving 9.4 billion cubic feet per day of natural gas:

  1. 46.45 percent of Great Lakes, a Delaware limited partnership formed in 1990. The remaining 53.55 percent is held by subsidiaries of TransCanada. The Great Lakes pipeline system consists of 2,115 miles of pipeline extending from the Canadian border near Emerson, Manitoba, Canada to St. Clair, Michigan, near Detroit, and has an average design capacity of approximately 2.4 Bcf/d at Emerson. The original construction of the Great Lakes system occurred in 1967 and 1968. Numerous capacity system expansions have occurred since its original construction, the last one completed in 1998.
  2. 50 percent of Northern Border, a Texas general partnership formed in 1978. The remaining 50 percent is held by ONEOK Partners, L.P. (ONEOK Partners). The Northern Border pipeline system consists of approximately  1,400 miles of pipeline extending from the Canadian border near Port of Morgan, Montana, to a terminus near North Hayden, Indiana, south of Chicago. Northern Border has a design capacity of approximately 2.4 Bcf/d. Construction of Northern Border’s system was initially completed in 1982, followed by expansions or extensions in 1991, 1992, 1998, 2001 and 2006.
  3. 100 percent of GTN, a 1,353-mile natural gas transmission system originating near Kingsgate, British Columbia at the Canadian border and connecting with the Tuscarora pipeline system near Malin, Oregon at the California border (GTN Pipeline). The GTN Pipeline transports Western Canada Sedimentary Basin and Rocky Mountain-sourced natural gas to third-party natural gas pipelines and markets in Washington, Oregon and California. The GTN Pipeline has an average design capacity of approximately 2.9 Bcf/d. The original construction of the GTN Pipeline was completed in 1961, followed by expansions or extensions in 1993, 1995 and 2002.
  4. 100 percent of Bison, an approximate 300-mile natural gas pipeline originating from the Powder River Basin near Gillette, Wyoming connecting to the Northern Border system in Morton County, North Dakota (Bison Pipeline). Construction of the Bison Pipeline commenced in July 2010, and the pipeline was placed into service in January 2011.
  5. 100 percent of North Baja, a Delaware limited liability company formed in 2000.  The North Baja pipeline system consists of 86 miles of pipeline extending from an interconnection with the El Paso Natural Gas Company (EPNG) pipeline near Ehrenberg, Arizona, to an interconnection with the Gasoducto Bajanorte natural gas pipeline near Ogilby, California on the Mexican border. North Baja has a design capacity of 500 million cubic feet per day (MMcf/d) for southbound transportation and 600 MMcf/d for northbound transportation. The North Baja pipeline system was initially placed into service in 2002. An expansion was completed in April 2008 to allow for bi-directional natural gas flow and the Yuma Lateral, from the Mexico/Arizona border to Yuma, Arizona, was completed in March 2010.
  6. 100 percent of Tuscarora, a Nevada general partnership formed in 1993. The Tuscarora pipeline system consists of 305 miles of pipeline extending from the Gas Transmission Northwest Corporation (GTN) pipeline, a wholly-owned subsidiary of TransCanada, near Malin, Oregon to a terminus near Wadsworth, Nevada. Tuscarora has a design capacity of 230 MMcf/d. The Tuscarora pipeline system was initially placed into service in 1995, followed by expansions or extensions in 2001, 2002, 2005 and 2008.
  7. 61.7 percent of PNGTS, a 295-mile natural gas pipeline originating near Pittsburg, New Hampshire where it connects with TransCanada's TQM system to a terminus near Dracut, Massachusetts.  The pipeline delivers natural gas to customers in the U.S. northeast. The remaining 38.3 percent is owned by a subsidiary of Gaz Métro.  PNGTS has a design capacity of168 MMcf/d at the Canadian border increasing to 210 MMcf/d from Westbrook, Maine to Dracut. The pipeline system was placed into service in 1999.
  8. 49.3 percent of Iroquois, a 416-mile interstate natural gas pipeline that extends from the U.S.-Canadian border at Waddington, New York, onward through New York State and western Connecticut, finally reaching its end point in the Bronx, New York. Of the remainder, 0.7 percent is held by a subsidiary of TransCanada and 50 percent is owned by affiliates of Dominion Resources, Inc. The system began operations in 1992 and has a design capacity of 0.5 Bcf/d, delivering natural gas to customers in the U.S. Northeast.

Common units of TC PipeLines, LP are quoted on the NYSE and trade under the symbol TCP.

General Partner

Our general partner is TC PipeLines GP, Inc., an indirect wholly-owned subsidiary of TransCanada Corporation (TransCanada). With more than 65 years' experience, TransCanada is a leader in the responsible development and reliable operation of North American energy infrastructure including natural gas and liquids pipelines, power generation and gas storage facilities. TransCanada operates a network of natural gas pipelines that extends more than 56,900 miles, tapping into virtually all major gas supply basins in North America. TransCanada is the continent's leading provider of gas storage and related services with 653 billion cubic feet of storage capacity. A large independent power producer, TransCanada currently owns or has interests in approximately 6,200 megawatts of power generation in Canada and the United States. TransCanada is also the developer and operator of one of North America's leading liquids pipeline systems that extends over 2,700 miles, connecting growing continental oil supplies to key markets and refineries. TransCanada's common shares trade on the Toronto and New York stock exchanges under the symbol TRP. For more information visit:  www.TransCanada.com.

Section Highlights

Pipeline Assets at a Glance

Collection of Pipe

TransCanada Corporation

In the field

Our general partner, TC PipeLines GP, Inc., is wholly-owned by TransCanada Corporation, one of the largest energy infrastructure companies in North America