Portland Natural Gas Transmission System

Download a large version of the TC PipeLines, LP Asset Map (PDF, 1.07 MB).

Portland Natural Gas Transmission System (PNGTS) is a 295-mile interstate natural gas pipeline system that originates at the terminus of TransCanada’s TQM pipeline at the Canadian border, shares facilities with the Maritimes and Northeast Pipeline from Westbrook, ME to Dracut, MA where it ultimately connects with the Tennessee Gas Pipeline System.

It began serving New England’s growing energy needs in March 1999.

PNGTS has a design capacity of 168 million cubic feet per day (MMcf/d) at the Canadian border which increases to 210 MMcf/d from Westbrook, ME to Dracut, MA. Greater than 60 percent of the capacity is under contracts that expire in early 2019 with the remainder of the volume transported under short-term firm and interruptible contracts.

PNGTS is operated by a subsidiary of TransCanada Corporation. TC PipeLines, LP owns 61.7 percent of PNGTS. The remaining 38.3 percent is owned by a subsidiary of Gaz Métro.

Quick Asset Facts:

  • Commenced Operations: 1999
  • Originates Near: Pittsburg, NH
  • Terminates Near: Dracut, MA
  • Length (miles): 295
  • Number of Compressor Stations: 0
  • Number of Active Physical Receipt / Delivery Points: 5/22
  • Installed Horsepower: N/A
  • Design Capacity (MMcf/d): 168 at Pittsburg

 

Ownership Structure

Tuscarora Conference

TransCanada Corporation

In the field

Our general partner, TC PipeLines GP, Inc., is wholly-owned by TransCanada Corporation, one of the largest energy infrastructure companies in North America