Portland Natural Gas Transmission System (PNGTS) connects with the TQM pipeline at the Canadian border to deliver natural gas to markets in New England and Atlantic Canada in response to the growing need for transportation capacity in the region. The system provides natural gas for residential and commercial use, and electricity generating plants.
PNGTS joint compressor facility
61.7%The remaining 38.3% is owned by Northern New England Investment Company Inc. (NNEIC). The pipeline includes 107 miles of jointly owned facilities with Maritimes & Northeast Pipeline and PNGTS owns 32% of the joint facilities.
290 MDth/d at the Canadian border
East Hereford interconnect
Pittsburg, New Hampshire
Dracut interconnect, New England, Vermont and New Hampshire
The market for natural gas in New England has been constrained by a lack of infrastructure to move natural gas, a clean, abundant and affordable fuel, to where it is needed. We are undertaking two multi-phase compression-only projects to increase New England’s natural gas supply without the need for construction outside existing facilities. These projects, Portland XPress and Westbrook XPress, valued at $130 million combined for the partnership’s proportionate share, are fully backed by fixed rate, 20+ year contracts. Earlier phases of these projects entered service in 2018 and 2019. Additional phases are planned to be in service in November 2020, 2021 and 2022. Together, these projects have approximately doubled the firm capacity of the PNGTS system to nearly 400,000 Dth/d.
Documents and Maps
Westbrook XPress Webpage
Portland XPress Webpage
For the latest information on contracts, customers and other details see TC PipeLines, LP Partnership Profile (updated quarterly)
For more information visit the PNGTS Website